Thursday, April 24, 2014

Totally starstruck

So yesterday I was invited last minute to a luncheon (thank you Gay!) where Pat Conroy was the guest speaker. That's right. Pat Freaking Conroy. And don't think that I didn't wait in line for more than an hour to have him sign my book just so I would have the chance to exchange a few words with one of my favorite authors. I even had to email my supervisor and beg forgiveness for being late to our meeting because Pat Conroy.

i'm pretty sure i'm saying something profound and compelling to him.

This morning I woke up as I usually do, and do the first thing I do every morning - stick a toothbrush in my mouth and wander around brushing my teeth. It's a thing. I make up the bed with a mouth full of foam, I go make sure the living room is straight with a toothbrush hanging out my mouth - whatever. Just because I practice good oral hygiene doesn't mean I can't multi-task. And I as I wandered through the kitchen, I spied a stack of mail from the day before. And I stopped short.

Here's the thing about me: I'm forgetful. I am. I always have been. You will often hear me say "Did I already tell you this?" and the answer is usually "yes." I hear something, I react, then I promptly forget all about it. Done. Gone. So when I stopped short it was because I saw a letter on top from my father. Who had told me recently that Mary Costa had written me a letter that was sent to him. And I freaked out and told him to send it to me - which he did, and then I promptly forgot all about it.

So when I saw the letter I immediately did what any other human would have done: I plopped immediately down on the floor with my toothbrush hanging out of my mouth and tore the letter open.

And yes. There was a letter from Mary Costa. To me. A sweet, lovely note from Mary Costa. I don't even care that she spelled my name wrong.

we are totally going to be bffs i just know it

Oh and here's how I told the Roomstress, who was still in bed:

Me, to myself: OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH MARY COSTA TOTALLY SENT ME A LETTER OH MY GOSH WHO SHOULD I TELL???? WHO CAN I CALL????

(bathroom door down the hall slides closed!!!)

Me: REGINA!!! REGINA!!!! I DIDN'T WANT TO WAKE YOU UP BUT YOU'RE AWAKE AND HOLY SHIT MARY COSTA SENT ME A LETTER!!!!!

R: Who?

Me: MARY COSTA SHE WAS THE VOICE OF PRINCESS AURORA FROM SLEEPING BEAUTY, HOLY SHIT SHE SENT ME A LETTER! SHE SAID I WAS VERY TALENTED!!!!

R: Oh, good. 

Me: REGINA!!! REGINA! MARY COSTA SENT ME A LETTER!!! LOOK!!!!

(shoves letter and envelope under bathroom door and runs squealing down the hall)

I am starstruck. Pat Conroy and Mary Costa - all in one day. Who'da thunk it?

Over and out,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment