Monday, October 6, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Lattes!

Kidding. I hate pumpkin. I don't like pumpkin pie especially, although DJ Smith took me to a pumpkin patch last year and I made that into a pie that was really good. See?

pumpkin selected

pretty pie made

But, I put my hatred of pumpkin aside and went with sis-in-law Kim and sis-in-law Mama Jean and we went to Marble City Glassworks one evening and blew pumpkins of our very own!

It was kind of intimidating at first. I had the glassworks instructor, Matt, tell me all the rules before I went traipsing around the studio. There was only one rule - don't touch anything hot.

Good rule.

I'm sure there's a more technical way to explain this, but here's what you do:

you get a blob of molten glass out of this thingie on the top of your stick thing

you twirl it around so your melty glass doesn't fall on the floor

you mash it around in some color (i picked orange because i'm an original)

you melt all the colored glass in this thing

here's where things went slightly askew - matt said ok BLOW! so i blew with all my might! and broke it. lesson learned everyone - blow glass gently...

so much like my pottery experience, i started all over again. more blobs on sticks!
 
more success with gentle blowing... i finally make it to shaping my pumpkin.

and matt puts the stem on the top!

kim's turn! twirling melty glass...

dipping up molten blob...

rolling and shaping her pretty pumpkin....

and then jean goes....

twirling....

more blobs....

gentle blowing...

and success! the three of us had a great time. matt photobombs while i hold the studio cat, dinah.

and here they are cooled down and finished! aren't they fun?!!

In other news, people have been asking how my face is doing after the stabs. It's good! So much so that I think I'll get the other remaining sets of face stabs. See? Marketing works! But, in the interest of full disclosure, here's what I put on the patient referral sheet the other day:

tee hee!

All the news for today. Over and out!


No comments:

Post a Comment