Thursday, August 27, 2015

What's it going to take? Someone, tell me PLEASE

Today my heart hurts and I'm numb with sadness. Why would anyone decide that taking up a gun and using it violently against another human is the right course of action? I don't understand. I sincerely don't.

In Scotland, after hearing word about yet another, increasingly frequent gun attack resulting in loss of life happened, I asked my tour guide, G-Scott about gun laws in their country. Guns are strictly monitored, he assured me - if you wanted a gun, you had to pass many levels of security before you were granted permission to own a gun - and then, access to it was enforced as well as how it was stored, along with its ammunition.

I scoffed at him. "Anyone with a pulse can get a gun in America," I retorted to him.

And then he said:

"But.... you have bears and wolves over there, don't you?"

And I erupted in laughter. And was almost immediately sobered by what I said next, followed by what I did not put into words at the time.

"There are no bears and wolves roaming the streets. I spent a two day overnight in the woods recently and never considered taking a gun. And do you know how much trouble I would be in if I shot a BEAR?"

And then I thought:

How little trouble I would be in if I shot another human with dark skin.

And the thought horrified me. It horrifies me still. But what is playing out in this country, right now, today - all over - is reaffirming that fact.

I'm stunned.

I'm stunned that the tragic and senseless killing of a lion half a globe away sparks more outrage in our country than the killing of humans a few miles away. I'm stunned that these shootings happen - over, and over, and over, and over, and over - and nothing is done about our gun laws and regulations.

Guys. GUYS. What's it going to take?

Maybe if someone in authority gets shot? A leader, like a state senator or US congressperson?

Oh... wait....

Maybe if someone who hates God goes into a church and shoots a bunch of people while they worship?

Oh.... wait....

Maybe a classroom full of children getting shot to death at the hands of madman?

Oh... wait.....

What are we waiting for, goddammit?

My. Heart. Breaks.

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment