Friday, February 7, 2014

When will you people start listening to me??

Everyone should know that I love the children in my life. I do. I take my role as godmother to my nephew very seriously, and my niece has my heart in her hands. I dote on the children of my friends, and am honored when they ask me to spend time with the little ones. I promise to love and take care of your children to the best of my ability. 

See that last bit? I will love those kids, and protect them but I cannot promise that they won't get bumps or scrapes or broken bones or SOMETHING. I'm already planning battles for the children to engage in when we go to the beach this summer - so far, I'm up to three different kinds of battles. I like it rough and tumble, ya'll.

Bear that in mind as I recount this:

Last Christmas, friend Kristi asked me to take her little Bunny ice skating. And last Christmas was a rough Christmas, and that one hour block of time was the happiest I was during the whole Yuletide season. We held hands, laughed, skated, sang songs at the top of our lungs and that Kristi/Bunny date was a shiny shiny moment in an era of gray clouds.

However, in our pre-skating dinner together, Kristi confessed to me that one of the reasons she didn't want to take Bunny herself is because she has a horrible fear of having her finger skated over. I asked her to explain why, and she said it was because she read a book of the Dick and Jane variety (although in a wildly off-top subject, was horribly racist and terribly wrong) and in the book the girl got her finger skated over and had to go to the hospital. It made quite an impression on young Kristi and turned her off ice skating for the rest of her days.

she sent this picture the night after we went skating.

Fast forward one year later: it was no surprise that when this holiday season rolled around, I was having such a great Christmas with so many wonderful things going, that it only made sense to reprise that fun evening from last year. This year, however, DJ Smith's leading lady came along.

see me clutching the wall? that's how i 'skate.' the leading lady and the bunny were zipping around like penguins after just a few minutes while i continued to clutch the wall, hand over hand, all night. 

Bunny was trying to get me off the wall, and had very kindly held my hand and gingerly skated me to the middle of the rink so I could practice without having the tempting hand-hold of a wall right beside me. We were doing pretty good at it until she slipped and fell. I held her up by the one arm that was holding her hand, but she briefly put her other hand on the ice to gain her balance and step back up.

Yup.

She jumped up off the ice screaming in pain while I frantically tried to a. keep my balance, b. pick up a wailing child, and c. find Kristi in the crowd. Fortunately, a kind ice rink man got the Bunny picked up and I skittered clumsily along after him to one completely freaked out, terrified Kristi. She looked on the ice for her finger before I took her face in my hands and told her that the Bunny was all right.

But man. I felt really rotten. Especially later on that evening when I still crying Bunny bawled out to me "THAAANNKKK YOOU FOR TAKING ME SKAAATTTING," when Kristi prompted her.

I got home that night to this text picture:

just like in the book

But Bunny totally had my back after that night though. The Dipper ran into her during Christmas and was asking about her finger that got cut by "that mean old Megan." Bunny bucked up and retorted, "It wasn't her fault! It was an ACCIDENT." Fortunately, I got this picture just a few days ago:

healed! instead of the doctor, kristi took her to a nail salon to get advice. pretty smart, i think.

So! What have we learned, kids? If you leave children in my care, I will love and protect them. I will entertain them and we will have a jolly good time. However, I will do things like let them take their coats off in freezing weather, run with sharp objects and encourage rough and tumble behavior. This, at times, does have its consequences.

In other news, I saw this yesterday:

what the hell is going on here?

And that's all I got. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment