Wednesday, June 11, 2014

UPDATED Dear American Girl: You have the wrong idea about sewing.

So it should come as no surprise that I really like McDonald's. Really, really like it. Like just about everything on the menu except for the Filet-o-Fish because tartar sauce is the devil's doing. So, squiring about an 8-year-old is really no skin off my nose when it comes to meal times. And yes, I still like the Happy Meal, because a cheeseburger and a few fries are really all you need, not a whole Big Mac which I still sometimes partake of - but only when I'm REALLY hungry. And besides - I really like the toys. I always get the girl toy unless I'm about to visit with my nephew.

So imagine my surprise the other day when the Leading Lady, upon examining both our Happy Meals, proudly produced for me an American Girl Doll sewing kit. Hooray! I thought to myself, and tucked it into my car door for future use when faced with ragged hems and popped off buttons. Later in the weekend - another Happy Meal, and another sewing kit! I trotted this one up to my office before getting curious to see what all it contained. Extra buttons? Lots of needles? Different colors of thread? A needle threader? Scissors? A THIMBLE? I pulled it out of the plastic wrap, and squealed in delight - because the sewing kit was housed inside a tiny sewing machine case! How CUTE!!!

*squees in delight*

Then I opened it up.

i rebuke you

HOW IS THIS A SEWING KIT. There are no needles. There are no scissors. Which in retrospect is probably not a good idea to give needles to children served with their food BUT STILL. This is a matter of principle, people! You can't just have a sewing machine case with "SEWING" in the title of the toy and not have a real sewing kit. And is this really necessary?

instructions. nice touch. also, not helpful? if i'm having trouble getting the kit opened to get the dolls out, i'm also going to have trouble getting the instructions out in the first place. for the love....

So after a bewildered moment, I see a note in there with some further instructions, and think oh good. At least they're giving sewing instructions since as I noted above my marketing prowess would likely get me in hot water with the FDA, so I took a closer look:

ribbon tying is not sewing!!!

So now I have two highly useless sewing kits full of paper dolls. I think what I may do is take the sewing kit I carry around in an Altoids tin and put my things in the cute sewing case.

Not as cool as a sewing kit though. Over and out.

a coworker came in and found me sewing some outfits for my paper dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment