Saturday, January 12, 2013

Go Ahead and Roll Your Eyes Now

I was a sorority girl. And still am. The University finally got around to building sorority houses and I was at the groundbreaking and am excited to attend the house dedication. Say what you will, but it was the first time in my life that I had other women be my friends, no questions asked. It was also one of the first decisions I made that formed a bond with me between my mother like nothing else could.

I told you to get the eye rolling out of the way.

In any event - I loved it. And believe it or not, I wasn't too terribly a crazy college girl. I mean, I had fun, did silly things, had a good time, and most importantly - I GRADUATED, but really did my rollicking good-time-having with a sense of moderation. All of that to say -

I didn't go on spring break but one time. My senior year, my parents paid for me to go to Cancun with my sorority sisters. And I remember specifically - my mother bought me peanut butter and other hearty snacks so I wouldn't have to spend extra money on breakfasts or lunches. (Heart, Mama! Thank you! I still do this when on vacation!)

Before going, and on a whim, when visiting the campus Walgreens, I picked up a bottle of cheap perfume. I wanted to take it with me to Mexico, and only use it only on that trip. I would keep the bottle forever after, and never use it again. That way, I could open it years later, and it still would remind me of going to Cancun my senior year with my sorority sisters. Silly, I know.

But it worked.

Twenty years later, after graduation, a marriage, six moves, two sets of graduate school, four kitty cats, and one house later... I was clearing out after Christmas and found that bottle of perfume. And I was twenty one and living out loud with my sisters in another country all over again.

told you it was cheap. but worth the $5 i probably spent on it.


me and the girls in cancun

And, as I like to brag on occasion when I have a terrible stomach upset - "This is the worst belly ache ever! And I drank the water in Cancun!"

Word to the wise? Don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment