Tuesday, May 5, 2015

3rd World Habits

Soooo.... confession:

I have gross feet. Really gross. And as I'm entering my fourth decade on this planet, I've noticed a pattern. Every ten years, I get toe fungus.

Bad. Bad bad.

The first time it happened I was 20. I was horrified. Embarrassed. Tried everything I could think of to cover it up and conceal it. And my father kept telling me it was because I had third world habits, BUT I DON'T. When the whole nail came off and the thought that my foot might be GANGRENE or something I went to the doctor and got a prescription for it.

Done. Problem solved.

Ten years later, after spending most of my 20s in Florida, I moved to Georgia. I think it was the transition from tropics to North Georgia in the winter and a return to close-toed shoes but in any event, I didn't fool with many home remedies and within a month or so had gone to the doctor to get it sorted out.

Fast forward to a month ago. I noticed my toe nail was raised up a bit and immediately went into the bathroom and under further investigation - yup. It's back.

This time I didn't fool with any home remedies. But this time, when I cut off the dead part of the nail I did something I hadn't done before:

I didn't care. I wore sandals like a boss.

ain't gonna lie - it was pretty gross though....

The doctor was able to fit me in the very next day and within a week I had my prescriptions filled adn was ready to take my medicine, and all prepared for a rough sandal season. A few weeks later, and the nail started to grow back in:

hi little new nail!

A few of my ladies were getting together last week to visit over dinner and indulge in a little mani/pedi time, so even though I knew I wouldn't have sandal ready feet, I still went along for the ride. So imagine my surprise when the technician took a little acrylic and performed this miracle:

SHE MADE ME A NEW TOENAIL!!!!!!

And I had no idea how happy that new toenail would make me. I even went back two days later to show her my new toenail was doing great and to thank her again.

YEA NEW TOENAIL!

All I've got for today. Over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment