Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Here's to you, Megan Smith

A few days ago, I had a morning. And when a well-timed call came from Boston came through I cried and whined about my lost life in a moment of pity. Then I had to cut the call and run to work and do things and when my return call came he noted I sounded much better. I laughed. And told him now I wasn't less upset... I was now only in public. I'd rather die than make a scene. And it got me thinking; I know when to let the crazy out and when to cage it in.

Strange seque, but bear with me - Shedding a name feels fake. It's pretend. Changing a name does NOT change who you are, stupids. Whatever name you know me by I answer to in a crowd. (PS my favorite name is PJ). Pretending I was something or some word is not who I am. I am not a new human because I have a new name.

So. What I do is not for the masses (yes Internet I know I'm talking to you STUPID) but it is for dumb ole me. This is a raw, visceral, ugly, hateful, miserable, awful thing I had to do. And I hate it. When I could still say "hello, I'm Megan Smith," and not "hello, I'm Megan divorced-from-Tommy-so-not-Smith-anymore-now-I'm-Venable" it felt safe. I wish I wish I still could. Honest honest.

I really am sad about not being Mrs. Smith anymore. I'm sorry. I tried real real real real hard to stay the same.

So. I realize this doesn't change Jack or shit to anyone but me. But, Mrs. Smith, you gotta go. But thank you. For what it's worth, thank you. I would like to retire you with grace, and instead it feels like I just shed a snake skin. I'm sorry. That is not what I wanted.

$200 and a court date later we will see what Ms. Venable has to offer.

Jury's out.

But now it's public. I wear divorce on my sleeve the way no other man ever will have to. The ubiquitous changing of the name (suck it assholes).

Looks like I made a scene after all. I'd rather die. But Ms. Venable may not. Now we're in public. *holds head high*

4 comments:

  1. I didn't have to change a name, so I can't fully empathize, but I have an endless amount of sympathy and compassion.

    Regardless, it was good to get to the end of the post and see your beautiful smile Ms. Venable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogstalker! Good to hear from you!! As always, thank you for your words. You're very sweet. I'm excited about being Ms. Venable again. House of Smith begone!

      Delete
    2. Venable is better anyway. You're too wonderfully Quirky for Smith.

      Delete
    3. I agree. I actually am surprised at how much it meant to take it back. I almost cried at the DMV. ALMOST.

      Delete